The department has a well-equipped fully air-conditioned computer laboratory. The following are the equipments available in the computer lab
Servers: HCL Server – 2, IBM Server – 1. Computer Systems: Pentium IV and AMD Athlon Clients-51. Printers: Dot Matrix Printers – 3, High Speed 600 LPM - Line Printer – 1, Inject Printer - 1, Laser Printers – 2. Smart Class Room System -1, UPS (5 KVA)-4 Nos, Audio System with Speakers, MIC & Amplifier -1 set, Web cameras-2 Nos, LCD Projectors-3 Nos, OHP -1 No, High Speed 1 MB Broad band internet connectivity. Software: Application Soft wares -TALLY 8.1 & 9, Oracle 9i, Visual Basic 6.0, Office 2000 & XP, C, C++, Java and SPSS 13. Operating System: Windows 2000, Windows XP. Antivirus Package, Language Packages : Sutherland - Language Lab Materials.
The entire department is networked through Intranet
About the smart Class Room
The Department of Commerce, Bharathiar University has a Smart Classroom whose array of hi-tech equipment enables faculty to conduct classes in a way that enable students to make use of every available resource from one point at the click of a button.
A special learning environment is created in the seminar hall and here a touch screen white board is integrated with the projector and a computer. The classrooms also have a DVD/CD player, Video Cassette Recorder/Player, a Document Camera Reader, and audio tracks. All these are integrated using a handy touch panel which enables the user to navigate between various options of display.
The white board with the Webster - software that integrates all the functions into one -enables the faculty to innovatively impart knowledge. It also acts like an electronic board where everything written on it can be saved as a file for future reference.
The Smart Classroom is also ideal for small seminars and workshops where the audio-visual facilities available help to make the presentations with a greater impact.
The department of commerce maintains a separate library to provide study material and related books to the students. The library in the Department has more than 500 books on Finance, Marketing, Commerce, Statistics, Investments, Economics, Computer Science, CommunicationDevelopment, Management, Selfenhancement/Personalitydevelopment, and Skills Development.
The department is also subscribing many journals relating to finance, computers and business.
Separate Website for the Department
The department has its own website www.bucommerce.com that gives details about the department, admission procedures, courses offered, infrastructure facilities, placement details, achievements, manpower, alumni and ongoing students’ profiles and research scholars’ profile.
There is a separate resource of research materials for the research scholars that include more than 200 research articles. It has a collection of more than 50 Ph.D dissertations and around 100 M.Phil dissertations
The department has two spacious classrooms for the students.These Classrooms are networked [ Intranet & Internet ] with LCD projector in each classroom.
The department has a spacious, fully air-conditioned seminar hall that includes excellent audio system with high-performance speakers, a radio, amplifier and mikes. A Computer system which is connected with the audio system of the seminar hall and the internet, One White board and Latest Smart class Room facilities
The students of M.Sc.,(Finance & Computer Applications) has an Association called the ‘FIN.COM’. The association aims at helping the students to improve their personality and update their knowledge in various fields. A software development club and a social service club have been organized under the association. The association conducts regular seminars and guest lectures inviting eminent personalities from various sectors. Students’ session are being organized in the department seminar hall on every Tuesday for the benefit of students.
Seminars / Workshop / Conference organized
- Conducted 8 computer applications training programmes for the benefit of commerce teachers of various affiliated colleges.
- Conducted 2 computer applications training programmes for the benefit of local fund audit staff members.
- Conducted many computer applications training programmes for the benefit of university administrative staff members (benefiting more than 200 staff members)
- Conducted Workshops for the commerce teachers to prepare computer application practical list for UG and PG courses offered in affiliated colleges.
- Conducted one-day Workshop on “Finance & Computer Applications”.
- Conducted UGC Sponsored National Level Conference on “Financial Sector: The Heart of Global Market – Issues Challenges and Opportunities” on 29th & 30th March 2005.
- Organized an Interactive Seminar on “Union Budget 2007” in association with The Hindu – Business Line on 9th March 2007. Mr.K.Annamalai, Chairman and Managing Director, Annamalai Capital Services Pvt Ltd acted as a resource person and interact with students.
- The Department of Commerce has organized a Two Days National level seminar on “Recent trends in Financial Sector Reforms and Information Technology” on March 13th and 14th 2007.
Action Plan for next 5 Years
- Produced 18 Ph.D and 60 M.Phil Scholars
- Instrumental in introducing job oriented innovative UG courses B.Com (CA). B.Com (E-Commerce)
- Instrumental in introducing job oriented innovating PG courses M.Com (Finance & Control), M.Com (International Business), M.Com (Computer Application) and M.Sc. (Finance & Computer Application)
- The department has conducted 31 refresher courses in Commerce & Computer Applications benefiting more than 850 college and university teachers.
- The department has started an innovative job oriented M.Sc. [Finance & Computer Applications] in the Year 2001.
- Won several prizes in a competition at Inter-University level meets.
- Conducted an Intercollegiate competition – “Fin-Quest”.
| 1st Year
- To introduce a new job oriented PG course M.Com (Finance and Accounting)
- To have a foreign collaboration for R&D in the areas of finance & computer applications.
- To introduce a new Post Graduate Diploma course in SAP & e-Commerce (ERP)
| 2nd & 3rd Year
- To introduce a new M.Com [ERP & e-Commerce] course
- To introduce a course for E-Learning Material Development.
| 4th & 5th Year
- To acquire industrial collaboration in assisting the students for training and placement.
- Empower the department with modern technologies to the fullest extent possible.